Design system and ROI
We will never stop evangelizing the practice of DesignOps, which consists in amplifying the value of design. When fully integrated, design becomes a real lever for structural, organizational and strategic transformation.
Design systems have a real potential to transform the way digital products are conceptualized, thought out, created, designed, edited, tested and integrated in a coherent way and on an industrial scale.
What is ROI?
Return on investment is a unit of performance measurement that allows you to analyze the effectiveness of an investment, whether it is a person or a product.
For a design system, it can be an increased productivity rate, a better customer experience, and a faster time to market… It allows you to make tangible your main objectives, namely increasing revenues and reducing expenses.
What are the challenges of measuring the ROI of the design system?
In the world of data and digital, user experience is the keystone of a well-built product. But often the organizational structures of a company are not aligned with customer-centric ways of working, which makes it difficult for delivery teams to achieve user-centric results. So how do you address this issue and lead the necessary change?
A system design can help you start this transformation journey, but it is an investment in your future: that of your team, your products and your ability to evolve with agility in an exponentially changing market. You will then guarantee the sustainability of your business in the marketplace.
“The species that survive are not the strongest, nor the most intelligent, but those that are most adaptable to change. C. Darwin “
What are the qualitative returns on investment?
- The system design favors the respect of delivery deadlines and the achievement of quality objectives by integrating a language that can be understood by all the teams in the value creation chain of your products, whether they are designers, integrators, product owners, etc.
- They reduce your time to market by optimizing and automating your business processes.
- They reduce the risk of design and integration errors. Indeed, the teams rely on a library of components and guidelines that have already been proven.
- Styles and tokens allow the evolution of your digital services without requiring repetitive and laborious work that is too often subject to human error.
- They help you communicate your corporate identity more effectively. Take a look at JEMS!
- They pool all design information in a single file and become a reliable source of truth for all your collaborators.
What are the quantitative returns on investment?
- A complete system design that is fully integrated with the organizational functioning of the company can increase your productivity by up to 25%.
- You will need less custom CSS for your developments.
- Integration will require fewer color properties and CSS tags.
- The more designers and developers you have using your system design, the fewer specific CSS properties you will need for a single feature.
What are the KPIs to measure the effectiveness of your system design ROI?
- Time for teams to build a new product using your system design.
Speed to market
- Time required for teams to build and test prototypes.
- Amount of code developers change with each release.
- Number of different CSS classes needed to develop your products
Impact on design
- Number of components and styles created from scratch by your teams
- Number of contributors and visitors to your design system
- Number of projects that include the use of your design system
Here is a link to some remarkable system designs : https://siw-grinaker.medium.com/top-12-design-systems-b598368be5a6
Discover our Design offer!